Former South Africa captain AB de Villiers quit the Indian Premier League earlier this year after announcing his retirement from all forms of the game. in the United Arab Emirates due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
De Villiers finally clarified the details of his comeback on Monday, October 3, during an interview via Twitter. Speaking to his Twitter followers, the 38-year-old cricketer said that he will return to Chinnaswamy Stadium (Bangalore franchise home) next year not to play but to thank all the players, for their support for ten years.
AB Devilliers said "I will return to Chinnaswamy next year, not for playing but to thank all the fans for the support over a decade". — Johns. (@CricCrazyJohns)
With this, the former swashbuckling batter has put a rest to all the speculations which risen due to his statement which he gave during IPL 2022. “I will definitely be around the IPL next year. I would love to return to my second hometown,” de Villiers told VUSport.
“I will be around RCB next year, I am missing it, don’t know in which capacity but I would like to visit my second home which is Chinnaswamy stadium — I am looking forward to it,” said de Villiers, who was included in RCB Hall of Fame a few days back along with West Indies’ Chris Gayle.
De Villiers, considered by many to be one of the greatest cricketers with 9,577 runs in 228 one-day internationals, was the first South African batsman to score a double century in Tests when he blasted 217 against India in April 2008. One of ODI's worst wicket-takers, de Villiers in January 2018 scored both his 50th century and the fastest by a batsman, in 16 balls 31 respectively.
He joined Royal Challengers Bangalore in the first year in 2008 and is sixth in the list of highest scorers in the IPL with 5162 runs in 170 innings at an average of 38.70 and a strike rate of 151.68.